Feelings, Nothing More Than Feelings...(woa-woa-woa)



I struggle with relying too much on my emotions. At least that's how it feels sometimes (ba-dum-dum! Sorry, I couldn't resist LOL).

Seriously, though, emotions are great clues for what's happening on the inside, but they aren't very helpful in revealing what's Truly True in the world around me. The big picture is, well, much bigger than that.

This is especially important when it comes to matters of faith. Will I choose to trust God only when I *feel* that He is trustworthy, or will I choose to trust God no matter what the immediate circumstance seems to indicate?

Earlier this summer, we were fortunate to be able to spend some time on the shores of Lake Superior. Looking out on the waters, we couldn't always tell what we were seeing. Storm clouds? A distant island? A cousin of the Loch Ness Monster?









Our sight alone wasn't enough. And those crossing the waters know this as well. A good sailor quickly learns to rely on nautical charts as well as human judgement, to trust lighthouses as much as gut instinct.






In a similar way, we're not left to navigate life based on emotions alone. We are given the compass of His written word, the lighthouse of His spirit, the navigational maps of other believers. These are tools to guide and protect us, if we are but willing to use them.

I honestly don't believe that we are called to divorce feelings from our faith. At the same time, I don't want a faith that is dependent on how I feel. How grateful I am that we can entrust our hearts to the One who sees the big picture, and who knows what's Truly True.

In Him,
Lisa










.