Fretology



Fret-ol-o-gy (noun) ~ the study of fretting; example: "I have a PhD in fretology."


I have been known, on Extremely Rare Occasion (hah!), to worry about things that don't exist and might never come to be. "What if....? And then....? But how about....?" Wasted energy, this fretting, and yet my heart lets worry take control far more often than I care to admit.






This week Young Lady was feeling stressed about an upcoming medical appointment. I, too, was feeling anxious on her behalf.

"I have a verse for us," I told her. "We can remember it during the appointment."

I turned to the 4th chapter of Philippians:


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.

And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus
."

~Philippians 4.6-7 (NIV)







A familiar verse, but it was good to hear it again.

"I like the idea of how God's peace can become a guard for how we think and feel," I said to her, "almost like a soldier protecting us. What do *you* hear in the verse?"

Young Lady paused. "It's like God lets us see only a couple of puzzle pieces at a time, but God sees the picture on the cover of the box, so we have to trust Him."

These, too, are good words.





Later that night, I looked up the same passage in a different translation:


"Don't fret or worry.
Instead of worrying, pray
.

Let petitions and praise
shape your worries into prayers
,
letting God know your concerns.

Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness,
everything coming together for good,
will come and settle you down
.

It's wonderful what happens when
Christ displaces worry
at the center of your life."

~Philippians 4.6-7 (The Message)



In other words, there is no room for fretology when Christ is at the center.







I have a long ways to go as a recovering fretologist, and no doubt will have many opportunities to re-learn the gift of God's peace. But for now, I am grateful for this week's reminder to trust the One who sees the picture on the cover of the box.

In His grip,
Lisa




.