Intrusive Grace


It’s been a full and busy week, punctuated by several unplanned God-appointments. How grateful I am that grace is persistent and ~ dare I say? ~ pushy enough to intrude into our everyday, self-made plans. Left on my own, I’m not sure I would spot it. But grace longs to be known, and so it breaks through the rocky surfaces of the heart like a lovely talisman of spring wrenching wide-open the hardened soil of winter.




This week, grace has painted itself for me in simple ways:

~ Finding a great winter coat for Young Man for just two dollars (not to worry, we hope to have it packed away for several months yet LOL).

~ Taking a sun-filled walk as a family before church on Mother’s Day, not realizing that the rest of the day would turn blustery, cold and wet.

~ Happening to be with my grandmother when several of her new caregivers were making their rounds in her new location.

~ Taking a (meat-less) meal out of the oven just when a (vegetarian) friend and her four children dropped by for an unexpected visit. The food s.t.r.e.t.c.h.e.d. enough for all of us to enjoy a time of friendship around the dinner table together.

~ Adjusting to new work responsibilities to better balance my time and energy.

~ And, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, spring is just begging to be sprung! Woo hoo! This is what we see from our staircase window (I sure hope our neighbors didn’t mind me hopping into their yard to take the picture...):




Simple things, no doubt, but grace nonetheless. And perhaps that is how our hearts become trained to recognize grace in the big things as well. Frederick Buechner put it this way:

Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is.
In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness:
touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it
because in the last analysis all moments are key moments
and life itself is grace
.”









So how has grace intruded into *your* life this week?







.